Saturday, April 20, 2013

Walking Along My Path

The Kerry Way walking path between Sneem and Kenmare in Ireland
 
 
 
It's early Saturday morning (for most people anyway- I've been up since 5:30 am) and am working on my second cup of coffee. I haven't looked at my post yesterday but know that I had a case of Suzy Homemaker fever yesterday (used to be baby fever but I'm pretty much over that). I baked a cake last night so Suzy's resting comfortably for the moment.
 
But this morning I was thinking about the path of my life and the fact that I do not need to jump off it completely and careen down the hill like a mad woman. One, I can't afford to do that and two, I have the right ideas about where I want to go and what I want to do. So here is my path and the lanes I'm following as I walk along.
 
First: my day job. I've expressed ambition to get back to my former position of senior representative but I also remember the huge workload and stress of said position. Part of me would like to have the teeny-tiny bit of authority the position brought me along with the mentoring and teaching part, but another part of me doesn't want the added stress load either. In addition, if I want to advance at said job I'll need to go back to school and get my degree. And that would eat into my free time which I want to devote to my writing. Yet the writing is certainly no sure thing (though I'll also say no job is either). But I'm not under any deadline there so I'm not going to worry about the next step there until the time comes.
 
Second: the writing. I've been slacking off yet again but I've got a couple of things I want to do today. I've gotten two e-books about character and plotting as I know both have been a major problem with the book I want to work on. I've never been one to plot or make notes as I've had this fear that they'll drive my book into the grave. The thing is, this book's gone through multiple drafts that have only been minor improvements over the previous ones. Major work is needed and I need help. Hopefully I'll have a picture of pretty-colored notecards on my bulletin board soon.
 
Third: my social life. Or lack there of, to be more precise. I posted a profile on a dating site (Plenty of Fish) and have gotten a couple of nibbles but not enough to make me reply. Maybe I'm being too dang picky but the lack of any real reply (two have been single questions and the other feels like a canned response) and lack of grammar and punctuation haven't compelled me to respond. Now my profile isn't the most eloquent but it is honest and I did check my spelling and used all the grammar I know. Maybe I ought to add to my profile: please use grammar and punctuation when replying to me. Or better put: bad grammar and lack of punctuation is a turn-off for me.
 
So today's lovely Saturday agenda:
 
- Laundry
- Walk my puppy then take her to puppy school (that's what I call training classes/sessions for her) tonight
- Do my plot/character thing and set up on my bulletin board


No comments:

Post a Comment